A serious automobile accident can happen to anyone, so it’s important to be prepared so you know what to do. The attorneys at Christopher L. Giddings, PC have more than 25 years of experience helping clients recover damages for pain and suffering due to automobile accidents. The checklist below can help you make sure everyone is safe and protect you from fault in the event of an accident.
What To Do First
- After an accident, safety and health are paramount. Check on your passengers, and dial 911 if anyone needs medical care. Be careful not to move anyone who’s unconscious or who might have a head or neck injury, as this can worsen the damage. If you need to move them out of harm’s way, secure their head and neck prior to the move.
- If your car is working, get it out of traffic safely. If your vehicle isn’t working, put on your warning lights or lift the hood to warn other drivers.
- Call the police in the event of vehicle damage, death or injury.
- Ask all drivers and witnesses for their name, address and contact numbers. (Not everyone will be able to give this information, and if you are injured, you shouldn’t move.) You also need their insurance information.
- Obtain the police officer’s name, badge number and city.
Information About the Accident
- Obtain the following on any vehicles involved (get as much as you reasonably can):
- State and license plate number
- Take pictures of everything at the accident scene, if you can do so safely. Ideally, include photos of the other drivers, any skid marks, each automobile including any damage, any property damage and the location.
Keep disposable cameras in the trunk and glove box so you’re always prepared; only use your cell phone if no other camera is available. These pictures can help the insurance agency determine what to pay you for any injuries you receive.
- Schedule a doctor’s appointment. Sometimes, injuries don’t show up until hours or even days after the accident, so you should always see a doctor as soon as possible to get checked out.
- Before calling your insurance company, see an experienced auto accident attorney. Insurance companies aren’t on your side. They often try to settle for less thanyou deserve, especially when you’re injured. Learn your options with a quick call to our office.
Christopher L. Giddings, PC provides personalized representation for auto accident lawsuits in Philadelphia, PA. Before taking your case, we sit down with you face-to-face and provide a free consultation regarding the accident. Call us at (215) 243-3450 any time to schedule an appointment.